Tuesday, June 4, 2013

June!

I'm sure everyone is deeply concerned that I have not posted yet this week. Don't worry, I am okay. I am great. Tomorrow is the last day of school (for students) and that is a happy thing. Summer vacation, baby!

Never mind that it's 60 degrees and raining. Never you mind that at all.

What I am most looking forward to is not having to choose work-appropriate attire from my closet every morning. I'm pretty sure at least eight students are keeping track of my monotonous wardrobe, writing things like "She's wearing the brown pants AGAIN" in their assignment notebooks.


Wardrobe-tracking is not the only thing of which you need to be conscious when you're a teacher. You also need to check your fly a lot. There is an old educator's proverb that goes "Any time children are laughing and you are not sure why, check your fly." You should also check that you don't have food in your teeth, or that your shirt isn't see-through, or that a child hasn't snuck in and started doing a dance behind your back.

To be honest, if you are deranged enough to teach middle school you should get used to being laughed at for unknown reasons. It's going to happen. Just smile and nod like you get it, and take solace in the fact that soon you won't have to see them anymore.

Summer is going to be so great. 


4 comments:

  1. I still remember the stories of a junior high teacher who had some "time of the month" issues with her pink pants. Everyone would giggle when she wore said pants, and no one really knew if the story was true or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the stuff of my nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't get anything done for a whole period once because some kid was calling me "Miss Baggy Pants." Such things pass for wit in the sixth grade, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually seriously considered keeping a spare pair of backup pants in my car on school days just in case. In case of what? Everything. Rips, tears, holes, stains, lunch . . . the number of pants-related disasters that can happen in front of a room full of teenagers is boundless.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments because they prove that someone is actually reading this.