Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What's Hot with the Kids These Days II

I know you all count on me to bring you the latest trends in teenybopper-land, so I wanted to share with you a recent discovery of mine. (The fact that it is a recent to me does not mean it is recent, of course. I usually pick up on things anywhere between 6-12 months after thirteen-year-olds pick up on them. That said, I pick up on them about a year before regular adults would, so this is still a valid service I'm providing.)

Here is what I've discovered: Miranda Sings.


That's her in the red sweatpants. You may notice she has her arm around THEE Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry Seinfeld is with-it.

I first learned of Miranda Sings on Halloween when one of my students dressed up as her (the basic look is bobby pins, sweat pants, and a lot of red lipstick). Then last week someone turned in a video assignment doing an impression of Miranda Sings, and everyone went crazy for it. So I investigated.

Miranda Sings is a character created by an actress named Colleen Ballinger. She started making YoutTube videos as "Miranda" where she sings pop songs poorly. People started following her, and now she makes tons of videos as Miranda doing all sorts of things, like this one: http://youtu.be/zTnXw0F_iYY.

I am drawn to Miranda for reasons I cannot explain, but what put me over the edge was her recent appearance on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee hosted by comedy icon Jerry Seinfeld. Why would Seinfeld have her on, when other guests have included Larry David, Kevin Hart, and Sarah Silverman? Surely Miranda is not yet up to that level? Do you think he was just looking to cash in to the younger audience? (Most "MirFANda's are middle-schoolers). Or is he really a fan? Tell me!!!!

Also, why doesn't Jerry Seinfeld read this blog and ask me to be his friend?

So there you have it. Miranda Sings is a THING. It's a thing you should know about. And that's why I'm here. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments because they prove that someone is actually reading this.