Monday, December 2, 2013

The Stranger Who Shamed Me PART THREE


Hi how was your Thanksgiving I don't care let's get to the point.

I was shamed, once again, by a stranger. But this time it happened ON THANKSGIVING. Are you shocked? Are you throwing up in your respective mouths at the mere thought? You should be. Please do so now.

It all started when I went to the Lifetime Fitness Turkey Day 5K.

(For those of you keeping track, you will notice that each shaming incident has occurred while I am attempting to work out: the bike race, the parking lot, and now this. Conclusion: exercise is the worst.)

For as long as I can remember, my family's Thanksgiving has always involved a rigorous workout. When we were little, my mom would take us to the gym before it closed at 2PM. Now we go downtown with approximately 400,000 other people to run a frigid 3.2 miles in the street. Doesn't that sound so fun?

I know other people's families do stuff like sleep in, drink Bloody Mary's, and watch the parade in their pajamas, but not my family. We're just a little too great for that.

So ANYWAY, now that the family has grown, we have these "children" to worry about. We used to leave them at home during the race, but at this point there are too many, so we bring them along. This is of course a terrible idea. (Small children are not into 5K's.)

At the time of "the incident" (don't worry I have not completely forgotten my point) I was standing in a jam-packed lobby with two strollers waiting for my husband to pick up our race numbers. It was not a good situation. The strollers are large and unwieldy and they made it difficult for people to get past me. I think I said "sorry" 600 times. I knew how annoying I was being, but I had no choice -- I had to run the stupid 5K. Family traditions are the worst.


One brave man decided my apologies were not enough. He looked at me, looked at the strollers, and rolled his eyes. Then he gestured to them and said "This is really stupid."

And bam! The familiar chest-tightening and face-reddening of stranger-shaming. I was so mad. The only retort I could muster was "Thank you, sir; Happy Thanksgiving!" But get this, I didn't say it in a nice voice -- I said it in a jerky sarcastic voice. Win.

At that was it. My holiday was ruined. It's probably ruined forever, who knows.

 . . .

Rather than end on that depressing note, I will tell you what I am thankful for this year: You! You're reading this even when you are supposed to be doing other things, like parent or your job. That's so nice. Thanks.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments because they prove that someone is actually reading this.